The history of Dethick, Lea and Holloway villages goes back over several centuries. The Parish regrouping these 3 villages as a single entity has been in existence for well over 100 years. The local residents feel they belong to a single village with a thriving community life.
Several famous families and persons have lived in the village. These include Babington, Nightingale (the family as well as Florence), John Smedley and Alison Uttley. They are all important historical figures in their own right, whose impact have stretched well beyond the local area. They have also made some significant contributions to the local industrial and business landscape including corn milling, quarrying, lead mining and smelting, hat making, and cotton spinning.
Further details of this fascinating history are given in the Village Website.
Thank you to everyone who took part in the Candlelight Procession to mark 100 years since the end of the First World War
The parish council organised a candlelight procession, which took place on Saturday 10th November 2018 and was attended by more than 250 people. The procession started at Lea Primary School and finished at the Florence Nightingale Memorial Hall, where refreshments were enjoyed. It was an amazing spectacle to see the LED candles flickering in the darkness as the procession travelled along Church Street towards the Memorial Hall. No doubt the event will be remembered for years to come.
Rededication of our War Memorial
A big thank you to everyone who came along to the rededication event on Sunday 8th October 2017. The event was very successful with over 200 people attending.
The event was special because it marked 95 years to the day since the Duke of Devonshire unveiled the war memorial at the original dedication service on 8th October 1922. Although the current Duke was unable to attend, a letter of support was received and was read out at the start of the event. Click here to view the letter.
The event also marked the completion of a £10,000 Heritage Lottery Funded project, which has enabled us to restore the Memorial Grounds, which were laid out in the early 1920s and dedicated to the men of the parish who lost their lives in the Great War 1914 – 1918. Work undertaken includes tree management, shrub and tree planting, repainting of the war memorial plaque, repairs to the memorial shelter roof, a new handrail and new signage. Click here to see photos of work undertaken.